yellow curry with chickpeas and veggies
Some nights feel like a curry night. Today was such a day, so I had a go at this yellow curry. In the van I make no apologies for using a jar of curry paste :-) rather than making the curry from scratch, although one day, with time, I'll give it a crack.
- chopping board and knife
- saucepan for cooking rice
- covered pan for curry
- measuring cup
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- onion (x1 small, segmented)
- yellow curry paste. I used ½ jar of AYAM Thai curry, I estimate it is about ⅓ cup
- coconut milk (small tin)
- chickpeas (x1 tin)
- veggies: I used eggplant (sliced and quartered, broccoli (flowers), green beans (cut in smallish pieces), spinach
- basmati rice (½ cup)
- cherries tomatoes (handful, cut in half)
- soy sauce x1 tbsp (or fish sauce but I don't have any in the van at the moment)
- raw sugar x1 tbsp (could use brown, but I have raw in the van)
- coriander to garnish (½ bunch chopped)
- heat oil in the pan
- add eggplant and season with pepper and salt
- add onion and cook until eggplant is golden and onion is cooked
- remove from pan and set aside
- add more oil and the curry paste and sauté until aroma is released
- add chickpeas, return eggplant and onion and also add broccoli and beans
- add coconut milk, soy sauce and sugar
- cover and simmer
While the curry is simmering ..
- cook the rice on low heat (2x water to rice volume for absorption)
When the rice is done ...
add spinach, tomatoes and coriander to curry pan and stir through he curry. It will take a couple of mins for the spinach to wilt.
Once the spinach has wilted (by then the tomatoes will have heated but not disintegrated) plate it up and enjoy.