Baked veggies with spinach and hummus
This is one of our go-to easy meals. Simple to prepare (chop veggies) but with a little bit of flavour tweaking it is one of my favourites. There are some meals that in Maria's domain ... this is typically one of hers :-). If we are feeling devoid of creativity, one of us will say, "Let's just do baked veggies".
2 (or as many as you need; just vary the amount of veggies you add, but in a van your oven will be small, so try not to stack the pieces too high in the baking dish as it results in uneven cooking.)
About 15 minutes to chop the veggies, then about 40-45 minutes in the oven.
- Knife and chopping board
- Baking dish
- (baking paper - optional)
Whatever veggies you have. A variety of colours and textures helps make it interesting. It can be easy (for me) to over cater with this one, so you might find you have to be conservative with how much of each veggie you put in. Tonight we have:
- Brussel sprouts (purple)
- Corn cob, cut into pieces about 2cm wide
- Sweet potato
- Egg plant
- ~3x cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Spinach (to serve)
- Humus (to serve)
- Cumin (sprinkling to serve)
- Good olive oil (to serve) (We are lucky enough to have family in Italy. When we visit, we bring back large tins of locally produced olive oil ... it is magnificent. We reserve it for occasions when you need oil for flavour, not just 'oil-ing' :-))
- Pepper and salt to taste
Other things we often include, but not tonight:
- Fresh beetroot
- Heat the oven to 180°
- Chop veggies into pieces that re roughly the same size, or at least the size that will cook in similar times.
- Put them in a large bowl (except the zucchini which cooks more quickly and you'll add later) and add some generous glugs of oil and the garlic. Mix well.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper (we do this to aid the cleanup effort) and empty the veggies into the dish, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Stir the veggies to help even cooking, and throw in the zucchini. (Maria did this literally and a few bits missed the dish!
- Continue to bake (roughly another 20 mins) until cooked.
- Put a handful of spinach in bowls (or on plates) and pile on the veggies.
- A couple of generous dollops of humus, a sprinkling of cumin and a drizzle of olive oil, seasoning to taste, and you are ready for feast of flavours.